Computing by Design projects for iDEW students are designed to build skills in programming, design, and data. Further, the projects provide a deep experience in the applications of technology for students to build confidence, develop intuition, exert influence, and express a unique voice. Below you will find an explanation for each of these attributes that encourage students to take ownership of their learning.
I am learning the art of trying things, critically looking at the result, and then improving them. I am confident in the face of not knowing something, even in failing, because I have experienced the process leading to results.
- Iterative research of problem domains, applicable technologies, and stakeholders using industry practices.
- Iterative coding and data collection methods in HTML/CSS/JS, Arduino, Spreadsheets, and SQL.
- Iterative design practices with sketching, digital mockups, physical prototypes, and evaluation.
I am experiencing a growing number of contexts and tools to build solutions. I am seeing patterns emerge and building intuition based on my practice. My intuition enables me to adapt to many circumstances.
- Using common reference materials for code syntax and examples across HTML/CSS/JS, Arduino, and SQL.
- Linking general concepts of programming (variables, loops, functions, etc.) across different languages and frameworks.
- Engagement of various real-world problem contexts.
- Application of diverse technologies - Web app, IoT, Video Games, Robotics, Chatbot, Data Visualization.
I know I belong in the tech community because I have successfully contributed. I am convinced that I can change the world through thoughtful collaboration and intentional work.
- Application of industry practices and speaking the language of industry practitioners.
- Presentation and demonstration of project work in public, online, and in class contexts.
- Collection of feedback on project work and synthesis of findings for improving the value of solutions.
I have experienced the diversity of thought and approaches to solving problems and have witnessed it by analyzing various real-world products. My unique voice brings value to the creative work being done to solve problems, and I see the value of team member contributions.
- Filling unique roles within project team.
- Demonstrating flexibility and novelty in my approach to deliverables.
- Contributing to the collective solution to a problem.
- Internet Research
- Technical Experiments/Tutorials
- Competitive Analysis
- Idea Evaluation
- Concept Mapping
- Task Analysis
- Digital Interface Prototypes
- Physical Mockups
- User Testing
- Expert Review
- Code Testing
- Arduino-like Programming
- Cloud Computing
- Rules-based Chatbot Scripting