Program for Data Viz ⏱
While this workshop is focused on the programming aspect of project, you will want to review the full project guide book below to understand the context.
We offer three paths to work with data and present a visualization, each using a distinct programming language or platform. For your classroom you may choose one path for a single project, all three to provide to facilitate a sequence of projects, or provide students with a choice. Through your own review and work with this material you can determine a best path for your context.
Complete the web app sequence at a minimum, and then consider reviewing the spreadsheet and python exercises as well.
Web App (HTML/CSS/JS
Complete each of the steps below to get started with a dashboard.
The spreadsheet path is a gentler approach to creating a data visualization using a tool that many are comfortable with.
Python is often the choice for professional data scientists and machine learning programmers, making it a great option to onboard students into high-demand disciplines. But this approach may prove to be more difficult to find entry-level coding material online, requiring a more adventurous perspective for beginner or novice programmers.
Now that you have experience with programming for this project...
- Consider how you will approach classroom management when students are completing a tutorial like this one.
- What will be your expectations?
- How much will be individual work versus team work?
- Will you assign any code champions to help you support students with questions?
- How will you supplement it with other programming content or experiences?
- Will you use any online tutorials?
- Will you supplement with any CS unplugged activities?
- Will you create any custom programming exercises yourself?